Joseph Smith was given two patriarchal blessings during his lifetime. One was given by his father, Joseph Smith Sr. in 1834 and another by revelation by his close friend Oliver Cowdery. One thing these two blessing have in common, they testify that Joseph Smith will return to the earth to fulfill the great blessings pronounced upon him. They both give great blessings that did not take place in the 2nd watch, when Joseph was on the earth in the 1800’s, but which will take place in the future 3rd watch marvelous work. God gave Joseph Smith, promises which must take place, for God said they would. In that you can have complete faith and trust.
Joseph Smith is the man through which God will redeem his people and build the Zion of the Lord. There is no other way provided. The scriptures make it clear that Joseph Smith will do this work and no one else.
Patriarchal Blessing by Oliver Cowdery – September 22, 1835
1. Blessed of the Lord is my brother, for the integrity of his heart and the steadfastness of his soul.
I believe the 2nd verse supports the contention that in the 2nd watch Joseph Smith was not a fallen prophet.
2. Upheld by the aim of the Almighty, he shall never fall, but shall be strengthened by his right hand till he overcomes.
3. Like Jacob of old he shall wrestle with the angel, and as a prince shall he have power with God, and shall prevail.
In the 2nd watch God sustained Joseph and there were thousands who were willing to give their lives for the prophet Joseph Smith.
4. Ever faithful to his friends and true to his word, the goodness of the Most High shall sustain him, and thousands shall stand up to defend him from the hand of his enemies and put forth the hand, and ward off the blow were it needful:
But God allowed Joseph to be murdered in the 2nd watch and hid up from his enemies for a period of time to come forth in power in the 3rd watch.
5. But ere his foes are aware he shall be hid under the pavillion of the Lord Jehovah;
At the end of his 2nd watch ministry, Joseph was taken by the Lord, as with the wings of an eagle, to the other side of the veil to wait until the time comes that he is to rise and fulfill his 3rd watch ministry.
6. For with the voice of his thunder shall he strike terror to their hearts, and as with the wings of an eagle shall my brother be carried beyond all harm, by the power of the Anointed.
In the 3rd watch, Joseph Smith, the one like unto Moses (see D&C 103:16) will rise from the dead and gather the elect. Under his direction Israel will build the waste places of Zion
7. From amid the burning bush, like Moses of old, shall he hear the voice, saying, I am the God of thy fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob, I have seen the affliction of my people and have come down to deliver them.
8. Go thou, and say to the strength of my house, “To your tents, O Israel; build up the wastes and raise up the foundation of desolation that this generation has made.“
At the 2nd watch Joseph Smith was separated from his brethren by death, and yet he will be raised up in the 3rd watch to fulfill his life’s work, which is the gathering of Israel and the establishment of Zion.
9. Thus shall he be honored of the Lord, and thus shall it be recorded of him, that the generation to come may bless his name, in Israel, saying, “The Lord make thee as Joseph the Seer, who was of the house of Ephraim the brother of Manasseh:
10. “The Lord do thee good, and bring peace and blessings among thy house as he brought them upon the house of Joseph the Seer, who was raised up of a choice vine from the stem of Jacob through the root of Joseph, even that Joseph who was separated from his brethren;”
In the 3rd watch Joseph Smith will be like Joseph of old and under his direction much food will be gathered into store houses and barns to sustain Israel during future times of great famine.
11. For like Joseph of old shall he be; he shall save the just from desolation by the wise counsel of the Almighty;
12. For by his direction shall they gather into store houses and barns till they overflow with the richness of the fruit of the harvest;
13. And by this means shall the just be saved from famine, while the nations of the wicked are distressed and faint.
In the 3rd watch, Joseph will fulfill the prophecies concerning the tribes of the north (see D&C 133:26 – 34). The tribes from the north will come to Zion and receive the blessings from the elect who are of the tribe of Ephraim.
14. In due time shall he go forth toward the north, and by the power of his word shall the deep begin to give way; and the ice melt before the Sun.
15. By the keys of the kingdom shall he lead Israel into the land of Zion, while the house of Jacob shouts in the dance and in the song-
In the 3rd watch, Oliver Cowdery will stand upon the earth with his brother, Joseph Smith, and fulfill many great things by the keys and power of the priesthood.
16. Joy O my soul in that day, for thou shalt be with him and bear thy part in the keys which are confirmed upon thee for an everlasting priesthood forever and ever-
17. Joy O my heart, in that day, with thanksgiving and with praise, for thou shalt stand with him before the hosts of Israel–
18. The lame shall leap as an hart, the old shall renew their strength, and the virgin of Israel, with the youth shall exalt the name of our God upon harps and instruments of ten strings.
19. He shall be a sure arrow in the bow of his God; for he shall be hid under the shadow of his wing.
In the 3rd watch, Joseph Smith will execute the vengeance of the Lord.
20. His loins shall be like iron, girded by the hand of the Lord; and his feet shall be swift to execute the commandment of the Most High when he shall say “destroy.”
21. His name shall be had in everlasting remembrance, and his seed after him, for they shall be saved to the uttermost.
In the 3rd watch Joseph Smith, the prophet, will have honor in his own country.
22. His fame shall be sounded in foreign lands, even to the ends of the earth, as well as nigh at home: for in this the times shall change, a prophet shall have honor in his own country.
23. His learning and wisdom shall astonish the great for they shall acknowledge that by his intelligence he has far surpassed their learning and their science.
24. In palaces of governors, rulers, and kings shall he be honored, even in his person, for God shall give him power to prevail.
25. He shall be a law giver to Israel, and shall teach the house of Jacob the statutes of the Most High.
In the 3rd watch, the influence of the prophet Joseph Smith will be felt like a great river in the everlasting hills of the great city Zion, whose cornerstone is in Nauvoo, Illinois and the center place in Independence, Missouri.
26. His testimony shall shine like the Sun, and the weight of his influence shall be like the great river that rises on the East of the everlasting hills, and flows into the great deep so shall his righteousness ever abound.
In the 3rd watch, Joseph will bring forth many more records. including the brass plates of Laban (see 1 Nephi 5:18 & Alma 37:3 – 4). Then of course the great sealed portion of the gold plates will be given to the inhabitants of Zion.
27. He shall partake of the blessing of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob; the chief things of the ancient mountains, the precious things that couch beneath, and the treasure hid in the sand.
28. The records of past ages and generations, and the histories of ancient days shall he bring forth, even the record of the Nephites shall he again obtain, with all those hid up by Mormon, and others who were righteous; and many others till he is overwhelmed with knowledge.
29. No precious thing shall slumber from his possession, for he shall be covered with the most choice things of all ages, till his soul shall be satisfied and his heart shall say, Enough! Enough!
30. In his hands shall the Urim and Thummim remain and the holy ministry, and the keys of the evangelical priesthood also for an everlasting priesthood forever, even the patriarchal; for, behold, he is the first patriarch in the last days.
In the 3rd watch, at the great council of Adam-ondi-Ahman, Joseph Smith will participate with the patriarchs of old, under the direction of Adam, the Ancient of Days.
31. He shall sit in the great assembly and general council of patriarchs, and execute the will and commandment under the Ancient of Days, for he shall have his place and act in his station.
32. Behold my brother Joseph is blessed, blessed are all those who bless him; and blessed are all those whom he blesses.
33. Multitudes, multitudes shall come to a knowledge of the truth through his ministry, and he shall be welcomed into the presence of kings and the great ones of the earth; for he shall claim his place among the nobles of the earth and shall be reverenced by them.
34. He shall also be filled with abundance of the fat of the earth; his flock shall bring forth thousands and tens of thousands: his vats shall overflow with wine and oil his cattle shall increases to a multitude: he shall have horses and mules, asses, she asses, and dromedaries, camels and elephants, and all swift beasts;
35. And when he goes forth in haste his chariot shall roar like the approach of an army; he shall have gold and silver, precious stones, diamonds, pearls, and the pure platina, with the antiquities of every kind.
36. Thus shall God bless, and thus shall he be prospered: and he shall have peace after a little, for his enemies shall be consumed many of them, and many shall turn and be his friends in very deed:
37. He shall remain to a good old age, even till his head is like the pure wool.
38. Behold there is not end to the vision, of the multiplicity of blessings and glories, which shall come upon my brother Joseph.
39. He shall possess a mansion on high and have an inheritance in that city which is like pure gold, even like transparent glass.
40. His rest shall be glorious and his name remain forever.
41. Thus closes the vision, and thus it shall be; even so: Amen
Patriarchal Blessing by Joseph Smith Sr. – 9 December 1834
Joseph Smith, junior was born in Sharon, Windsor County, Vermont, December 23, 1805.
Joseph, my son, I lay my hands upon thy head in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, to confirm upon thee a father’s blessing.
At the beginning of the 2nd watch, Joseph Smith saw the Father and the Son in the grove of trees on the Hill Cumorah. Joseph was sustained by angels and the presence of the Lord many times and delivered from the hands of his enemies.
The Lord thy God has called thee by name out of the heavens: thou hast heard his voice from on high from time to time, even in thy youth. The hand of the angel of his presence has been extended toward thee by which thou hast been lifted up and sustained; yea, the Lord has delivered thee from the hands of thine enemies and thou hast been made to rejoice in his salvation:
thou hast sought to know his ways, and from thy childhood thou hast meditated much upon the great things of his law. Thou hast suffered much in thy youth, and the poverty and afflictions of thy father’s family have been a grief to thy soul. Thou hast desired to see them delivered from bondage, for thou hast lov’d them with a perfect love. Thou hast stood by thy father, and like Shem, would have covered his nakedness, rather than see him exposed to shame: when the daughters of the Gentiles laughed, thy heart has been moved with a just anger to avenge thy kindred. Thou hast been an obedient son: the commands of thy father and the reproofs of thy mother, thou hast respected and obeyed— for all these things the Lord my God will bless thee.
In the 2nd watch Joseph laid a foundation upon which the future 3rd watch will take place. Joseph began a great and marvelous work which was not completed. But in the near future the fullness of the great and marvelous work will take place which will restore the covenant people of the Lord and establish Zion.
Thou hast been called, even in thy youth to the great work of the Lord: to do a work in this generation which no other man would do as thyself, in all things according to the will of the Lo[r]d. A marvelous work and a wonder has the Lord wrought by thy hand, even that which shall prepare the way for the remnants of his people to come in among the Gentiles, with their fulness, as the tribes of Israel are restored.
Joseph, the son of Jacob, saw Joseph Smith in vision in the last days. Joseph, the son of Jacob saw the saints being driven out and scattered in Nauvoo.
I bless thee with the blessings of thy fathers Abraham, Isaac and Jacob; and even the blessings of thy father Joseph, the son of Jacob. Behold, he looked after his posterity in the last days, when they should be scattered and driven by the Gentiles, and wept before the Lord:
Joseph, the son of Jacob, then continued to look for the fulfillment of the promises of the Lord and saw Joseph Smith in the 3rd watch (See JST Genesis 50:30)
he sought diligently to know from whence the son should come who should bring forth the word of the Lord, by which they might be enlightened, and brought back to the true fold, and his eyes beheld thee, my son: his heart rejoiced and his soul was satisfied, and he said, As my blessings are to extend to the utmost bounds of the everlastings hills; as my father’s blessing prevailed above the blessings of his progen[i]tors, and as my branches are to run over the wall, and my seed are to inherit the choice land whereon the Zion of God shall stand in the last days, from among my seed, scattered with the Gentiles, shall a choice Seer arise whose bowels shall be as a fountain of truth, whose loins shall be girded with the girdle of righteousness, whose hands shall be lifted with acceptance before the God of Jacob to turn away his anger from his annointed, whose heart shall meditate great wisdom, whose intelligence shall circumscribe and <and> comprehend the deep things of God, and whose mouth shall utter the law of the just:
Joseph, the son of Jacob saw Joseph Smith in the 3rd watch stand on the neck of his enemies
His feet shall stand upon the neck of his enemies, and he shall walk upon the ashes of those who seek his destruction: with wine and oil it shall he be sustained, and he shall feed upon the heritage of Jacob his father: the just shall desire his society, and the upright in heart shall be his companions:
Joseph, the son of Jacob, saw in the 3rd watch the time when no weapon formed against Joseph Smith would prosper
No weapon formed against him shall prosper,
Joseph, the son of Jacob, saw in vision how the wicked marred Joseph Smith in the 2nd watch, but saw him in the 3rd watch rise from the dead and putting to flight his persecutors. (see 3 Nephi 20:44, 3 Nephi 21:10)
and though the wicked mar him for a little season, he shall be like one rising up in the heat of wine— he shall roar in his strength, and the Lord shall put to flight his persecutors:
he shall be blessed like the fruitful olive, and his memory shall be as sweet as the choice cluster of the first ripe grapes. Like <a> shief [sheaf] fully ripe, gathered into the garner, so shall he stand before the Lord, having produced a hundred fold. Thus spake my father Joseph. Therefore, my son, I know for a surety that these things will be fulfilled, and I confirm upon thee all these blessings.
Joseph Smith Sr confirmed the following blessings on his son, Joseph Smith Jr.
1. Joseph will return, his heart will be enlarged or renewed and he will complete the days of his probation.
Thou shalt live <to> do the work which the Lord shall command thee: thou shalt hold the keys of this ministry, even the presidency of this church, both in time and in eternity. Thy heart shall be enlarged, and thou shalt be able to fill up the measure of thy days according to the will of the Lord.
2. Joseph Smith will display the fullness of the Melchizedek priesthood making the earth tremble, the mountains move, the rivers turned our of their course and put to flight the armies of the wicked. (see JST Genesis 14:30 – 31)
Thou shalt speak the word of the Lord and the earth shall tremble; the mountains shall move and the rivers shall turn out of their course. Thou shalt escape the edge of the sword, and put to flight the armies of the wicked.
3. Joseph Smith will heal many people, he will gather many people to Zion.
At thy word the lame shall walk, the deaf shall hear and the blind shall see. Thou shalt be gathered to Zion and in the goodly land thou shalt enjoy thine inheritance; thy children and thy children’s children to the latest generation; for thy name and the names of thy posterity shall be recorded in the book of the Lord, even in the book of blessings an <and> genealogies, for their joy and benefit forever. And now, my son, what more shall I say? Thou art as a fruitful olive and a choice vine: thou shalt be laden with precious fruit. Thousands and tens of thousands shall come to a knowledge of the truth through thy ministry, and thou shalt rejoice with them in the Celestial Kingdom:
4. Joseph Smith will stand on the earth during the opening of the 6th seal when the earth will reel to and fro like a drunken man. (see D&C 88:87 and Revelation 6:12 – 17)
Thou shalt stand upon the earth when it shall reel to and fro as a drunken man, and be removed out of its place:
5. Joseph Smith will be on the earth when Babylon falls and the wicked mourn.
thou shalt stand when the mighty judgments go forth to the destruction of the wicked:
6. Joseph Smith will lead the tribes of the North to Zion to receive their blessings. (see D&C 133:26 – 34)
thou shalt stand on mount Zion when the tribes of Jacob come shouting from the north, and with thy brethren, the sons of Ephraim, crown them in the name of Jesus Christ:
7. Joseph Smith will stand on the earth at the sounding of the 1st trump, and with the 144,000 be caught up to meet the Lord in the clouds of heaven with all the holy angels. (see D&C 88:95 – 98)
Thou shalt see thy Redeemer Come in the clouds of heaven, and with the just receive the hallowed throng with shouts of hallalujahs, praise the Lord. Amen